Realizing your love of horses through riding lessons or competition is an invaluable experience that will enrich your life in countless ways.
We specialize in pleasure horses (no jumping) and believe that whether you want to ride down the trail or into the show ring your horse should be a pleasure to ride.
Learning to ride is a process that takes time and commitment to master and we believe in letting each rider progress at their own pace. The more time you spend in the saddle the more quickly you will improve. As Winston Churchill once said, “No hour that is spent in the saddle is wasted.”
Your safety is our priority:
We offer a variety of reliable and safe lesson horses appropriate for all skill levels so you can continue to ride more horses as your skills improve.
We invite you to join our barn family and meet new friends who share your passion and values.
Our instructors are all different, with diverse lives, styles and backgrounds but what is consistent is that all of them are kind, committed and inspirational.
Our Lesson Horses
Meet some of our safe, kind lesson horses and see how much fun we have with them!
Kids 6 and Under
A 12-week program of 30 minute lessons that includes learning about grooming, tack, and riding. We focus on developing balance, basic aids, good posture, building strength and confidence through fun games. All lessons are individual and a parent needs to stay to help ensure the safest possible experience.
Our goal with small children is to foster their love of horses through positive reinforcement and interactions with our lesson horses. We never want to move too fast, be too rigid or put little ones in situations that will frighten them. Our commitment to the children we teach is that we will move at each child’s individual pace with a focus on their safety and only move onto new skills when they are thoroughly comfortable with their last skill. With a little love, patience and continuity our tiny tots grow into confident riders and resilient kids.
1 lesson per week
$700/ month for 2 lessons per week
Short stirrup lessons are 45 minutes long and students will learn barn and horse safely, how to groom and tack their horse, and work with their horse on the ground in addition to their riding time. Riders work on building balance and strength, first on a lunge line and progressing to rail work. Lessons start individually and progress to riding with a small group.
Kids in the short stirrup program learn all about horses, building their skills at an age appropriate level and pace to help prepare them for full adult lessons.
Adults & Kids 12+
1 lessons per week
$760/ month for 2 lessons per week
Ages 12 and over
You should plan on being at the ranch for an hour for your lesson. Basic horsemanship, grooming, leading, tacking and untacking your horse are will be covered and riding time will last for about 30 minutes. Beginning riders start in small groups and progress to larger groups as their skills increase.
If you are just starting on your riding adventure we begin with exercises to develop your balance, teach basic commands (starting, stopping, steering) and how to sit a jog and post a trot. Once you have mastered the basics you will learn how to manage your horse’s speed and more sophisticated steering maneuvers including circles, figure 8s, and serpentines to help you control your horse in every situation. In addition to riding we teach you how to work with your horse on the ground, learning how to halter, lead, groom and tack your horse.
Academy Program Expectations
Cancellation Policy: We adhere to a strict 24-hour cancellation policy. If you are feeling ill please call us as soon as possible to cancel your lesson. We will contact you if lessons are cancelled by the barn due to weather, instructor illness or other issue that may arise.
Cancelled lessons should be rescheduled with your instructor. Lesson packages expire at the end of each month and missed lessons do not carry over to the next month unless the cancellation occurred in the last week of the month.
● Proper attire for riding lessons includes long pants (breeches or jods), paddock boots or boots with a heel, and a form fitting top. Please, no loose or baggy clothing, be prepared to wear layers during colder weather and bring drinking water during hot weather.
● Riders are encouraged to acquire their own helmet and riding crop; however, these items are available to borrow for first-timers and beginners just starting.
● Always treat Rushton Stables and Courtship Ranch staff and borders, horses, facility and equipment with kindness and respect.
● Listen to the instructions given by your instructor and staff at all times. Horses are large animals and the safety of all people and animals in the facility depends on riders listening to instructions carefully.
● Accept the decisions and recommendations of instructors as fair and in the best interest of your riding and development.
● Parents are asked to be engaged in their child’s interest in horses. We kindly ask that parents remain present during riding lessons, ask questions of the instructor as they arise, and maintain an open line of communication regarding the goals and interests of the rider.
● Please respect signage posted at the ranch in order to maintain order and safety during lessons for all people and animals within the facility.
● Parents and family members are kindly asked to remain observers in all aspects of the lesson. Do not instruct, criticize or coach your child. Leave the job of coaching to the instructors.
- Parents and family members are kindly asked to refrain from petting and feeding treats to horses on the ranch. These are privately owned animals each with their own training and feeding program, we ask that you respect their owner’s wishes.
Payment, Fees and Cancelation Policy
Effective January 1, 2022
- Lessons are pre-paid on a monthly basis.
- Tuition is due by the 1st of the month for the upcoming month.
- Rushton Stables, LA has the right to remove any client from the schedule who has a balance that is past due.
- $15 late fee will apply to lessons if payment is not received by the 7th.
- If your regularly scheduled lesson falls on a built in make up day, these days are not covered in your regular package pricing but a FREE service to schedule make up lessons and a REWARD for those who stick to their regularly scheduled time.
- Schooling sessions occur on a month-to-month basis and each session begins on the first day of every month.
- Registration for new riders can be done by emailing RushtonStablesLA@aol.com or calling/texting 323-365-2035 . Riders enrolling in subsequent sessions can register with their current Riding Instructor.
- Single riding lessons can be scheduled with your instructor.
- Kids 12+ and Adults: Monthly sessions are $380 per session and include one one-hour-long lesson per week. Two one-hour long lessons per week is $760 per month.
- Short Stirrup Kids 7-11 years old: Monthly sessions are $350 per session and include one 45-minute-long lessons per week. Two 45-minute-long lessons per week is $700 per month.
- Payment for each session is due by the 7th day of each month. We gladly accept the following forms of payment: Cash, Check, PayPal, Zelle and Venmo.
- Single Lessons – hour-long lessons can be scheduled for $85 per lesson or $75 for Short Stirrup riders (45 minute lesson). Single lessons are only available as add ons for students already enrolled in a regular lesson program.
- Tiny tot lessons (for ages 6 and under) $590 for 12 week program for Children 3-6 years old. Upon completion of the program, based on the recommendation of the instructor, the child will move up to the Short-Stirrup Program or may repeat the 12 week program until the child is physically and emotionally mature enough to start the Short Stirrup Program.
- Half Leases – $820 per month. Include rides per week, may be any combination of lessons and practice rides up to 3 per week.
● Makeup Classes and Absences
- Lessons cancelled with 24 hours notice may be made up during the monthly session (if spaces are available) or on one of that month’s make up days.
- Make-up lessons do not carry over to the next month, with the exception of a proper cancellation within the last week of classes, at which point the student will have thirty days to reschedule. It is the student’s responsibility to arrange any makeup lessons carried over into the subsequent session.
● Holidays/Stable Closures
- 2022 Holiday Closures: Thanksgiving Day, December 24 – January 1 (Classes resume on January 2) November 28, 29, & 30 are the built in make up days for the December holiday break.
- Should a rider’s normally scheduled lesson time fall upon a Holiday or Stable closure due to a competition, that rider will be given the opportunity to reschedule that lesson at any time during the current session, availability pending. If there is no time that the rider can makeup that class during the current month, the rider will be given a credit for a lesson in the subsequent month.
- 2022 Built in Make Up Days
- January – 30th (Mon)
- March – 29th (Tues), 30th (Wed), 31st (Thurs)
- April – 29th (Fri)
- May – 30th (Mon), 31st (Tues)
- June – 29th (Wed), 30th (Thurs)
- July – 29th (Fri)
- August – 29th (Mon), 30th (Tues), 31st (Wed)
- September – 29th (Thurs), 30th (Fri)
- October – 31st (Mon)
- November – 28th (Mon), 29th (Tues), 30th (Wed)
- Lessons for Minors
Riding horses is a dangerous activity and guardians are asked to remain on the premises during any lesson involving a minor. Any guardian that chooses to leave the premises during a lesson for a minor should be prepared to sign-out.
Rushton Stables, LA
Do you have questions about our lesson or training programs or any of the services we offer.
11270 Dominica Ave
Lake View Terrace, CA 91342
- 11:00 am – 7:00 pm
- 11:00 am – 7:00 pm
- 11:00 am – 7:00 pm
- 11:00 am – 7:00 pm
- 11:00 am – 7:00 pm